Newstalgia Motors Presents Car No.
1965 "8 Ball" Cobra Roadster
This over the top Cobra, totally engineered and fabricated by the owner (a former GM automotive engineer), took nearly 20 years to complete; not a kit, no donor car. The result is a monster of a vehicle, in both performance and technical specifications. This Cobra also continues to prove formidable under the bright lights of the show circuit shown by winning the Best of Class "Hand Built Sports" award at the recent 59th Annual Portland Roadster Show.
One of a kind body, with extra wide rear fenders. Custom Velvet Black paint with gloss Black stripes and numbers.
Custom "flame turned" aluminum interior panels and console. The dash houses a full complement of precision gauges and essential switches. Tire temperature monitoring computer with dash display.
Engine and Driveline
The kind of "nasty" that the owner was looking for was easy to obtain with the application of a 600 inch SVO Ford Big Block M-6010-A460 bulletproof engine featuring massive splayed 4-bolt mains, siamesed bores, screwed in freeze plugs, and a ¾” solid pan rail.
· 724+ HP and monstrous 805 lb-ft torque (dyno’d); 6,250 rpm redline
· 4.605” bore x 4-½” stroke (600 cubes – 10 liters)
· Port fuel injected (SDS with programmable shift light and fuel cut rev limiter)
· Dry sump oiling system (Stock Car Products 4 stage pump; Moroso tank; custom breather)
· Alan Root Motorsport heads and manifold (ported) M-6049-B460; 2.3” intake; 1.9 exhaust; titanium keepers, etc.
· 65 lb/hr port injectors run by an SDS computer – mapped on the dyno
· ½ “ fuel rails running at 55 psi, fed by an Aeromotive A1000 pump and regulator
· 4-¼” diameter (108mm) custom billet aluminum throttle body (approx 2,300 cfm capable)
· Forged 4340 rods
· Forged 4-½” stroker crank
· JE pistons – 10.6:1 compression - runs on premium pump gas
· Comp cams custom ground hydraulic roller
· Crower stainless steel needle roller rockers
· Blueprinted distributor fired by MSD
· 2” headers with copper flange gaskets
· Tilton block plate starter; Lakewood bell housing
· Fluidampr performance harmonic damper
· Aluminum water pump and custom pulleys
· 100 amp one-wire alternator
-Transmission: TKO 600 5 speed with 0.64 OD
-Triple plate custom 1,000 lb-ft Kevlar clutch on a 12 lb aluminum flywheel (Zoom)
-Engineered Custom Fabricated Rear End: computer optimized geometry; Franklin Champ Quick Change; Speedway Eng IRS side bells; 4:11 main gear; #15 change gear = 3.91 overall ratio for 200MPH at an easy to achieve 5,800 RPM in 5th gear OD; Detroit locker differential; 128MM OD Lobro Racing CV joints; 1-1/2” axles
-Engineered Custom Fabricated Front End: computer optimized geometry; pushrod actuated inboard coilovers; “Lola-style” billet aluminum uprights; power rack and pinion; Borgeson steering with collapsible shaft.
-Brakes: 11.75 ventilated rotors; JFZ 4 piston calipers - two pair front, one pair rear; three Tilton master cylinders; 66/33 brake bias; line lock on one pair of front calipers – stops on a dime.
-Tubular space frame measuring 3,500 lb-ft per degree torsional rigidity
-2,850 lbs “soaking wet” 47% front, 53% rear
-Aeroquip plumbing – dash 12 oil; dash 10 fuel
-Black ceramic coated headers, custom full length side pipe shields, and roll bar
-Fluidyne custom aluminum radiator and hood louvers keep it cool
Wheels and Tires
Custom modular wheels with knock-off hubs; Hoosier road race tires 23.5x11.5-16 front, 27.0x14-16 rear.
Additional images available upon request.
Back to Inventory